DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:35 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:46 am 

I think we've all done silly things in the past when it comes to DIY so I thought it would be fun to share them here!

My favourate of mine was when I moved into my first house. By the time everything was moved in and I was staying there there were no curtains in the bedroom. The previous owner had literally ripped out the old curtain pole leaving big holes in the wall where the fixings were. As a temporary measure I wedged long screws in the holes with the new curtain pole brackets. The weight of the curtains kept it from falling down. Almost 3 years later when I moved out it was still exactly as that first night. Saved me unscrewing the fixings at least!

:dunno: :mrgreen:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:07 am 

Put together a load of chairs the other day, leather executive type, put the legs on the wrong way around on three of them......embarrassing going back and all the staff sniggering !

Lesson learned !

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:25 pm 

yes mate you did not have a leg to stand on :mrgreen:

For this message the author transitboy has received thanks - 2: 182michael, metsec
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 am 

:lol: :lol:

I'm laughing at midnight ! Fell young again :huray:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

Not strictly DIY.

Finished a large terracotta floor having sealed it with boiled linseed oil. Screwed all the rags up - in the rubble bags - in the back of the van.

Neighbour banging on my door later that evening informing me the van was on fire and the fire brigade were on their way. :withstupid:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:41 pm 

when i used to be a spark, i forgot to leave the fire alarm pannel in test(they are stupidly complicated) at a large well known shopping center in brum and started going round with my smoke pole... the alarm didnt stop ringing after 2 seconds with a look of "sh*t" then came the abuse from the managers from the shops after all the emergency doors opened, thankfully i had disconnected the red care line so the fire service didn't turn up

thankful i nothing was stolen, i didnt care too much i had a new job lined up to join the dark side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:05 pm 

I hammered the rivets down on the moving bit at the end of my tape measure because I thought it was giving me false measurements. Worked perfectly - for 50% of all measurements thereafter.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : ZakD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 pm 

LC's story reminds me of working in a local council swimming pool plant room.

We used to bag off all the smoke alarms with latex gloves so as not to set the alarms off.

Anyway there was about a dozen in the huge room, did about ten of them then got distracted before doing the next one and snapped the glove over it the right way round not inside out like you should do when the gloves got talc in it!!

It was great fun going out into the carpark in November and explaining to all the freezing almost naked swimmers that there wasnt a fire really :oops:

:lol:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 pm 

Razor wrote:

It was great fun going out into the carpark in November and explaining to all the freezing almost naked swimmers that there wasnt a fire really :oops:

:lol:

:lol: :salute:

I once emptied a motorway service station, set off the smoke alarm trimming a door with a circular saw - half of the site was a training area (where we were doing a re-furb) and the other half was open to the public - although completely separate buildings the fire alarms were linked and went straight through to the fire brigade - I had my lunch in the van, but about 70 custards had to leave theirs behind. :oops: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Its not exactly my line of work but I was asked to test the emergency PA in a big shopping center once. I turned on the test announcement "this is a test of the public address system 1,2,3,4,, this is a test of..." on loop, annoying for the shoppers and staff, but it had to be done. Then went for a walk round all the zones. When I got to the cinema 40 min later there was quite an angry mob at the ticket office. We got it turned off and they restarted the film. To be fair I generally do CCTV, AV and Intercom.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:55 pm 

oh dear i suppose i best tell you all about Manchester airport then

A few years back we were doing a refit in one of the beer store rooms,this particular room was air side on the apron so as you can imagine security was strict
anyway 2nd day i had to drill six 50mm holes in in laminated sheets,now i new i should have replaced my hole saw some time ago and ended up virtually burning my way through the panels,this in turn set of the SILENT smoke alarms
what a sight seeing 4 tenders screaming down the runway towards us i said to my mate oh dear somethings going off big time come and look mate
as he came outside the fire crews screeched to a halt firemen all over the room we were working in at that point i twigged why they were there erm excuse me mate but i think i might know why the alarms are going i said
got a right bollocking i can tell you
then there was the time i got armed guards crawling all over the van........... but thats another story :thumbright:

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories ! Its fun to read about all our cock ups !

Lets hope more people share theirs !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 am 

I have a few to share

I was working on a hotel refit fixing headboards to the wall sparks had done first fix on wall lights above headboard I go and drill straight through new cables that had been fitted.

Now working at a holiday accommodation was changing the locking unit on a upvc window screws came out fine handle was rusted in to unit used a large screwdriver to lever handle off and broke the glass resulted in having to change the whole unit as still couldn't get handle off

The gene pool has no life guard!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:01 pm 

I had a job to fresh fit some intumescent strips to 3 very large doors at a prestige location in central london.The job could only be done between and 4 and 6am as they traded at all different times throughout the night and day. Did the first two no problem no drama with the doors in situ with a router.(opened over a small slope)

Start the third one and all hell breaks loose.First an alarms going off then some guy dressed like buttons out of panto is going into one.I couldnt understand a word he said as his accent was so strong and he was going crazy like a headless chicken.All i kept hearing was "im waking the guests ".

I was totally confused as i was working at some sort of investment bank.It turns out i had set off the fire alarm and the building was next to a hotel.I only found this out when the guy i signed in with showed up.Then i found out the building was split in two at some point and the alarm was still one system.The hotel had split it and rented it out as prime location office space.

When i went out to the van to get some tools to finish the job by hand i saw all these posh people standing in the road looking pretty pissed off :lol: .
At £300 a night i think i would have had the same reaction tbh.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:09 pm 

Not wrong or a mistakes but some of the stupid things that have happened.......

I started out and have done office refurbs at various points over the years. There is an unwritten rule on setting out amongst a lot of firms that if a dividing wall for offices comes out from a column or window mullion then it is done centre line. We put two new offices in for a couple of directors. Get a call on the Monday because one director had measured both offices and was pi55ed off because his was an inch smaller than the other directors. That next weekend we were back in to shift the wall half an inch!

I painted the front entrance door to the Police Federation in ......police blue.....pain in the ar5e door with 16 panels on each side. Looked lovely when done. Then the council got the greif about it and ordered them to redo it in Bromley Council green. Cnuts!

Bloke I used to do office refurbs for over the course of 20 years had a bungalow which I turned into a house. he was hands on and got involved........Just whack the wall plate down. I explained that it needed levelling in because the walls were pi55ed and it would have a knock on effect to the dwarf walls and the dormers. So, on his insistence I whacked the plate on. My next question was, am I making all the frames for the dwarf walls and dormers the same size or to bring everything back into level.....Same size. Then he puts his level across a window opening and with a startled voice says it is am inch out of level. Correct, what do you expect, I warned you enough times but you didn't want to listen. From this point and the corner of the bungalow is 6" out of level!! I did say to level the wall plate and not to direct fix straight to the ring beam. There was a few other things on that too.

I did a big refurb about 22 years ago on my old electricians (best mates) mums house. All new windows, chimneys out, walls out,store room knocked through to the kitchen, back door bricked up, made bespoke doors, new kitchen. She loved my brickwork and in the end I had to do all the plumbers making good because he was 5hit at it. I also put a false chimney breast in the front room and new skirting to a lot of the rooms. The price didn't include decorating as they were doing it.............fcuk me, she slagged me off something rotten to my mate after the job and payment. HE didn't fill any of the screw holes in the skirting. HE is a better bricklayer than a carpenter. My mate said.......really, well the filling is your job as you are decorating and not his. Also perhaps you want to think about the kitchen he has fitted, the bespoke doors he has made, the windows! Blow me, I hadn't seen her since then until my mates funeral a few weeks back. She went.....I remember YOU! I though fcuking cheek.