DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:02 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:10 pm 

I might have fitted a kitchen years ago and put the wall units at a height where the doors hit the strip light when they were opened!

If I might have done that then I would obviously might have lowered them to miss it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am 

Another one from me in the kitchen on Sunday night. I was fitting shelf brackets to the side walls of the pantry so the selfs could span it. Fitted the first one, used a straight piece with a level on top to mark the second wall and fitted the second bracket.

Went and fetched a shelf to offer up and I'd marked the top of the bracket but fitted the second one using the mark as the bottom line! We now have a very very wonky shelf. I've still not corrected it. I just kicked my tools into a corner and left it. Lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:03 pm 

pjl83 wrote:
Another one from me in the kitchen on Sunday night. I was fitting shelf brackets to the side walls of the pantry so the selfs could span it. Fitted the first one, used a straight piece with a level on top to mark the second wall and fitted the second bracket.

Went and fetched a shelf to offer up and I'd marked the top of the bracket but fitted the second one using the mark as the bottom line! We now have a very very wonky shelf. I've still not corrected it. I just kicked my tools into a corner and left it. Lol

I once built the whole top half of a two storey extension like that -I'm pleased to say I didn't do the first fix - the boss-man did that to save some pennies - he used a level through the window from the existing house and marked the wrong side of the level - the whole top floor was 60mm higher than it should have been - I had to create a 12 foot long ramp up to it from the old part of the house - and he had to give them some money back - it was either that or start again, but all the studwork was up, door linings in, wardrobes built and more.

I had the job of breaking through - he was there when I started and said to me "that'll be spot on, that will." When he came back and I told him how far out it was he thought I was winding him up, I'll never forget the look on his face when he took a look himself. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 pm 

i did a stupid thing today..... was fitting a few rads at home. (were doing up a house were currently living in.) i had some floor boards up to check the joints under the floor before we lay the laminate flooring. got all that sorted out and my dad asked me to cut and extend a pipe that ran from the utility room to the upstairs. now the pipe work is white plastic for the heating down stairs. and as i looked it was white plastic and grey plastic going upstairs. id forgotten that we changed supliers halfway through the plumbing first fix i did a couplea months back. i figured ahh the white will be the heating too. wrong..... cold water haha and id not turned off the stop tap... i got bloody soaked. had to shout for my mate to come and turn the water off whilst i tried my best to stem the flow of water out both ends of the pipe id just cut :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm 

ive done a few things in the past. if someone never makes mistakes then they aint learning anything new.

a few week ago i cut a oal handrail 100mm short ::b

refixing floorboards i nailed a pipe not once but twice, oops

edit to add i may have drilled a light switch cable too a few years ago

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:17 pm 

I have also drilled a light switch cable!!! After I chased the wall and first fixed the cables a week before

And this week I was asked to make a raised plinth for a new till at work!!! Knocked it up in just over an hour everything fine till I unplugged the till somehow I managed to fuse it (still don't know how) till system ha only been in 2weeks

We all make mistakes it's learning from it that's makes us better

The gene pool has no life guard!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:00 pm 

ohh not good speed.... haha the other week i did another one. hope they dont come in threes..... i was knocking the snots off the walls that had been plastered so i could fit the skirting boards... bloody plasterers :angryfire: my mate said here use this scraper itll be quicker. it was one of those super duper scrapers that you fit like a long stanley blade into. went along the wall and all of a sudden the alarm starts going off... i was like ahhh man... i knew what id done straight away. cut through 5 bloody cables.

ive also drilled the odd cable in my time. though never one on an old fashioned electric board so ive never experienced a bang. any joiner that says they havent drilled through a cable or nailed a pipe is probably a liar haha :boxing:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:00 pm 

Re-boarded my bathroom ceiling a couple of months ago.
Worked out that it would take 6 pieces cut from 5 half-sized boards.
First 5 pieces went up no bother. Went to cut the last piece ...only to realise I'd cut piece 5 from a complete board instead of an offcut and now none of the offcuts are long enough for piece 6.
Doh...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:04 pm 

Latest mistake was a few weeks ago. Hanging a door at the missus's sons. Marked the hinges on the door, took it outside (as his missus suffers from OCD and didn't want a mess) Then cut the hinges in the wrong position. :shock: :shock: :shock: Bloody first year apprentice mistake. ::b ::b ::b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 am 

I could provide enough of my fau pas to fill an entire thread!

Here's a memorable one though............

Out on the tools with BT here in rural Wiltshire I used the 8mmx1000mm drill quite often on 3' thick cottage walls. Whilst drilling a hole for a wire in such a property (from inside to out), the drill emerged from the wall and into the customers water butt!
I managed to fix it with a nut and bolt from my tool box, and two tap washers provided by the householder. Fortunately we both saw the funny side of it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:38 pm 

I once worked very briefly as a lumberjack type.

One day a tree had fallen the wrong way and severed several electrical cables and they were all hissing around my legs like snakes. I was lucky to get out alive.

The electricity board came and repaired it and asked for my details to send me the bill. Needless to say my details weren't exactly correct and I never returned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:32 pm 

Always check the waste pipes in a bathroom will take every hot water tap being turned on at once before doing so. I soaked the F outta a four hundred year old ornate ceiling being used as a large meeting room in a large London Hospital when trying to put a bit of load on the DHS calorifier.

:dunno: Who did that but, I'll kill'em when I find out boss.

Regards
T

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Aged 18, I was asked to PDI a new Nodet Fertiliser Spreader.Fetched it from the storage area,tore around the yard with it connected to the 3-point linkage and into the high-doored(but not high enough) workshop ,with the folded booms still up on the spreader.Three grands worth of damage to the spreader...a lot back-in-the-day,and top of building didn`t look too pretty either.Resulted in a written warning.

A year previously I was thrashing my 1968 BSA Bantam on the way to doing some motorised deal,when suddenly at a good 60mph,it lurched towards an oncoming car before lurching towards the nearside and so forth until I somehow came to a rest with a flat rear tyre and a heart rate around 200bpm.An extra long rear mudguard retaining bolt had punched through my barely legal rear tyre after hitting a bump in the road.Should have known better as although young, had already been building bikes for several years.

Fifteen years ago I had a near miss with a fire,in spite of sweeping chimney thoroughly.
Installed a woodburner and a couple of weeks later was toasting my nuts,fire roaring with its doors wide open.On glancing out the window,I saw a huge plume of black smoke downdraughting.That`s not from my red-hot fire I thought rushing outside.The family from next door had gathered on the road to stare at my on-fire chimney.I waved to them for being so kind in alerting me(they are like that round here....I have another story regarding a neighbour`s shed!),then rushed inside with a metal bucket,scooped all the fire contents into it and out in the garden.Closed the fire doors and all air vents down.Luckily the chimney fire died down after 20 mins,and I spent the next few hours checking the upstairs two rooms and roof for fire.
A tar-lined chimney with lime mortar soaked in resin is a great wick to the roof timbers....as a local chap found out by roaring his open fire after burning pine.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

I had a summerjob at a farm when I was 16. On one of the last jobs of the summer I was to drive the tractor and fertilze a field. This was the first time I did such a thing and I was abit nervous, but thougth lets go. How hard can it be? Well. I did a rookies mistake and started of on the wrong side of the field so the automatic program the machine was sat on turned around compleatly.I sprayed all the cowshitt on cars along the road for quite some distance before I was to turn the tractor around. I had my ear defenders with the radio on so I didn't hear any of the carhorns honking on going mad on me. The location of the farm is rigth next to a road that has about 40 000 cars a day. I did this is rushhour where it was a que cause of roadworks further down the road so when it first went to hell it realy went to hell. The farmer had to pay for wash on the cars who demanded it. I felt soooooooooooooooo stupid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:46 pm 

Chris86 wrote:
I had a summerjob at a farm when I was 16. On one of the last jobs of the summer I was to drive the tractor and fertilze a field. This was the first time I did such a thing and I was abit nervous, but thougth lets go. How hard can it be? Well. I did a rookies mistake and started of on the wrong side of the field so the automatic program the machine was sat on turned around compleatly.I sprayed all the cowshitt on cars along the road for quite some distance before I was to turn the tractor around. I had my ear defenders with the radio on so I didn't hear any of the carhorns honking on going mad on me. The location of the farm is rigth next to a road that has about 40 000 cars a day. I did this is rushhour where it was a que cause of roadworks further down the road so when it first went to hell it realy went to hell. The farmer had to pay for wash on the cars who demanded it. I felt soooooooooooooooo stupid.

And I claim my free car wash....

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next