DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:20 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:34 am 

With the recent coverage of Microsoft vulnerabilities to 'exploits' I did a little looking into it.

The list of exploits (serious ones, not the low-risk ones, of which there appear to be hundreds) can be found here:

http://www.securiteam.com/products/W/Windows_XP.html

...showing that XP is not really the system you want to be using at 'any' time if you are serious about your security. OK, if you've applied all the relevant updates then you should be 'safe' - but that doesn't mean future exploits can't be discovered and used against you.

Many people are of the opinion that operating systems such as Linux are far more secure and modern versions (distro's) are both stable and compatible with many hardware platforms. But many potential users are put off by the learning curve and differences from the systems that they are used to hence have either tried and given-up or simply not bothered to try at all.

I found a distro of Linux that is Xubuntu based, can be downloaded for 32- and 64-bit systems, can dual-boot with XP (possibly other versions of Windows too - I haven't looked into it) and that is both graphically familiar, operationally familiar and low on system resource requirements which means it will show an increase in effective speed on your machine if yours is particularly low on performance.

It's called ChaletOS and is found here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/chalet ... p_redirect

It boots/loads from a DVD or Memory Stick and won't damage anything.

It's worth a shot - for anyone that has a low-spec machine that they want to use, anyone that is considering dumping Micro$oft (for various reasons) or those who have any issues over security.

Call me paranoid (but am I paranoid enough?) but the more we hear of virus attacks and the way .gov approaches your own supposed-private use of OS's I'd rather place my trust in open-source OS's than the corporate stuff that seems to invite (by design?) .gov 'inspection'. Don't even mention 'the Cloud'!!!! :lol:

:thumbleft:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:05 am 

Because I use Linux Mint also has the XFCE desktop, I have asked around for an opinion on Chalet OS and I gather it is:-
A "small" OS based in Serbia, concern being about the quality of support i.e. security and application updates.
It has the feel of a one man operation, or at best a very very small team.

I have used Mint for some years on my PC and other Family members have installed on their ex XP ones when the hard drive packed up, we find it mostly trouble free and easy, especially the updates.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

The problem with any Linux distro is the Microsoft apps. We run two servers, and as much as I'd love to get rid of the Microsoft one and just move our software on to the Linux (CentOS) machine, it's never going to happen without complete software rewrites. It's great for ground up development, and I can see a basic Linux PC being "ok" for a replacement to a Windows PC for general web browsing, word processing etc, but it's a learning curve. The best bet (if the machine has the juice) would be to upgrade to a decent version of Windows.

The other thing with XP, it's still fine on machines that don't come in to contact with the internet - many EPOS terminals are still running XP, and the fact they're on closed networks should make them perfectly ok to use for an eternity without upgrading. I suspect part of the problem with the NHS was the number of machines running embedded versions of XP that simply cannot be upgraded as it'd break their core purpose - the thing to do with these machines is get them as far away from the cloud as possible.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ubuntu and Linux Mint,I have used a live cd like Linux puppy that worked ok on a machine with a broken hard drive for a few months.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:39 am 

I understand the problems with Windows compatibility and often decry it for some programs that I commonly use otherwise but moving to a Linux base meant I discovered other alternatives to MS packages (for the most part) that do the job just as well but, more importantly, for FREE!

My suggestion was aimed at those that might suffer problems from the recent virus issue but are either incapable of upgrading to a newer version of Windows of who would prefer not to be 'tied' to an OS that is clearly 'full of holes'! Equally I understand the concerns for those considering a move to Linux but are unfamiliar with both the installation method and the desktop environment hence the suggested version - ease of install, it's not 'permanent' (if you feel you don't like the new Linux version) and a desktop you'd recognise.

Of course Windows is only as vulnerable as 'you' care to make it (fail to apply upgrades, trawl disreputable sites etc) but I can say with some surety that Linux packages don't leave me 'wondering' or - in some cases - 'hoping' I won't fall for infection!

If I wanted to use a PC primarily for internet access and some 'office' type purposes then a Linux distro is a definite improvement in both safety and performance - and let's not forget that it's FREE, as are most (all?) of its application software packages.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : sajeel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm 

Driving a Reliant three wheeler I was in a car which insurance records showed was very unlikely to be stolen or involved in a fatal accident, this was because no one wanted a Reliant three wheeler, and those who drove them knew they were vulnerable so drove very carefully. The car did not have better security or more protection for the occupants, in fact the reverse.

So running Linux, you don't get attacked as much, simply as it is unlikely you have anything on the computer worth attacking for, and lack of good quality software means you can't do much with them, as XP gets older and older there will be fewer and fewer people trying to break in, when did you last hear of a virus attack on a Windows 3.11 PC? Same with Amiga no new virus or new software written for them.

I did run Linux for a short time, into Photography I used Gimp, which also runs on windows, however it is an 8 bit program, where CS5 is a 32 bit or even 64 bit program, and also ask some one how to define edge in gimp, and you get a blank expression with CS5 some one has done it before and will show you how.

I am not sure how Linux has progressed? but if it does improve then it too will get hit by the virus, likely more, the more open the more likely to get virus, keeping source codes under lock and key as to Mac will likely mean less virus attacks, but that also means less software, and no cracked software, you would have to pay for every little program.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:04 pm 

Gimp is OK, but I find it very cumbersome and long winded to use.