DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:48 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice needed please
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all
I am currently at the start of building an extension at my mothers bungelow. The extension is single story running lengthways along the roofline. Basically we are joining on and continuing the shape of the bungalow. The bungalow was built around 1860 and the walls are made of double bricks (215mm) and there is no cavity. We have serious damp issues as there is no damp course whatsoever in the brickwork. Also there appears to be no membrane under the concrete floor

My question is how do I rectify the problem? I will be digging out the floor and putting in all the layers required to bring it up to modern specifications. I can hopefully deal with the damp coming up through the floor but what about where there is nothing in the brickwork. Can I bring my damp membrane from the floor and take it all the way up the wall and therefore trap the damp? I am very open to suggestions. I might just add that a cavity is being added to original wall to tie in with the new extension

Thanks
Paul

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Advice needed please
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 pm 

In the absence of any other replies I would suggest you consider the question/solution differently. What is happening to the rainfall that is hitting the bungalow?

I have a cottage in France which, over Winter, if left unventilated, would have green mould on the walls. The North elevation had a ground level lower than the floor and fell away into an Orchard. The East elevation had a shed extension and was therefore protected. The South elevation has a concreted forefront draining into gravel.

The West elevation, where the weather comes from, was the problem. The water was going into the soil and then 'wicking' up the brick/blockwork.

So, I set about digging out for a French Drain (Google it!). I was looking to achieve something like 12" x 12" but, when I got down to about 8", I hit bedrock. Not concrete or the edge of a concrete raft, actual rock! The area is slate and we have a well in the field nearby despite the fact that the ground level there falls further away by some 50 metres in the space of 100 metres.

In went a layer of gravel, followed by perforated pipe angled into the Orchard behind, and then more gravel. In essence, there is now nowhere for the moisture/rainfall to collect/remain in order to permeate the wall.

We still keep it ventilated during the Winter months. :wink:

Hope that helps?

Post subject: Re: Advice needed please
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:03 am 

I'm no expert but have you considered a chemical damp course?

My home in London had a similar problem in the 90's. The mortgage company retained 5K until we had the damp course issue sorted. We had a company install a chemical damp course which sorted the issue.

I'm not sure whether this would be applicable for your house.