DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:20 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,
Can anyone advise on how to adjust the hinges on a PVC French door set?
They look like they have 2 machine screws for adjustment, one that lifts/lowers the door and another that moves the doors together (or further apart).
I’d expected a 3rd screw that moved the hinge into or out from the frame but it doesn’t seem to be there.
The hinge sides are tighter on the frame than the lock side (even when fully shut) and the lock side is tighter at the bottom of the frame than at the top.
I suspect the frame is out (or even the doors), but wanted to see how much adjustment I could get on the hinges first.
Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures, but can get some when I’m next there if it would help?
Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:56 am 
Borders Bodger

Hi Red1,

I'm no expert on these, but while you are waiting for someone with greater knowledge to reply ...... when I was adjusting my doors, I found there were the allen/hex key type adjustments for up/down and to pull the doors together or seperate them as you have found.
What you probably also have are some cam-type adjustments (again hex-style fittings) on the top edge of the door that are used to pull the door harder into the frame as the handle is pulled up (not a great description, but it you have a look on the top of the door, you will hopefully see what I mean?)

This is how I realigned my doors, but even after doing this it was still not quite right and in the end the window company had to come back in and take more extreme measures, including taking out the glass and repacking it in slightly differently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:55 am 

Red1,

My doors have an allen key adjuster on the part of the hinge fixed to the door, it is in a recess.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks guys, much appreciated :thumbright:

Hoovie, your doors seem to be identical to these ones, but I would never have thought to look on top of the door!
:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:52 pm 
Borders Bodger

Sounds like you're sorted :thumbright: Glad my dodgy description ended up making sense to you :lol: