DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

First time poster, long time reader guys.

I thought I'd tackle adding some downlights to my cupboRd downstairs. It's tripping every time I switch it off, the lights will stay on constantly then trip when I turned the switch off. It's probably something really simple but it's got me exhausted. The light taking its power from a mains supplied smoke Alarm on a 5a circuit.

The switch has a COM, SP 1 way and 2 way connections

Cheers for any advice.

Attachments:
IMG_6820.JPG
IMG_6820.JPG [ 178.54 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]
IMG_6821.JPG
IMG_6821.JPG [ 140.92 KiB | Viewed 459 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:54 am 

My guess is you used 3 terminals on the switch, so creating a short when you turn the lights off.

You should connect the two blue wires together in a piece of choc bloc (or wago connector)
Put one brown in C and the other brown in 1 way
The earths should have green / yellow sleeving and connected in a separate choc bloc (or wago connector)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : sajeel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:03 am 
BANNED

At switch join two blue neutrals and both earrh with speeding terminate blue neutrals with connector or wago type terminal, then power source brown live into common light switch and first light brown into l1, terminate earth into light switch.Then at light side you will join brown lives together, earths together and blue neutrals together. Make sure power is isolated when working, normally insulation resistance and continuity then reconnect power and test.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

OK, if you've just installed that, can you pull the cable supplying power out of the switch box and route it to the ceiling hole, as that is where it should be?

Then it should be wired like this - http://www.homewiringguide.com/page3.htm but you need to connect the power going to the next light to the switched live, instead of the incoming live, so that they all switch on together.

if you're not using a ceiling rose, get some lever type WAGO connectors from Screwfix or similar, as they are ideal for this and very simple to use.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:42 pm 

Stooby2 wrote:
OK, if you've just installed that, can you pull the cable supplying power out of the switch box and route it to the ceiling hole, as that is where it should be?

Sorry to tell you, but your comments are so wrong.
There is more than one way to wire a light, the way it has been done is correct, and what you suggest is also correct for wiring a light, so there is NO NEED to change it.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : sajeel
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:52 pm 
BANNED

I agree both ways are valid but the other method is the common way uk wiring is done by qualified electricians. As said you don't have to have to rewire just ensure all wiring is correctly colour coded.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:18 am 

sajeel wrote:
I agree both ways are valid but the other method is the common way uk wiring is done by qualified electricians. As said you don't have to have to rewire just ensure all wiring is correctly colour coded.

Sorry to say, but that is not 100% correct either.

Years ago most lighting was wired with the "loop in" method, but now its starting to move to the "feed in the switch" (For want of a better description) method............as done by electricians and not to mention if its using conduit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:50 am 

Traditional UK lighting took the feed to each ceiling rose then from ceiling rose to switch, where the sleeves are missing it is a common DIY mistake to connect the blue wire from switch to neutral rather than use as switched live and so cause a direct short.

I say traditional as today it is common where using non British lights to wire as done on the rest of EU and take the supply to the switch.

There are advantages and disadvantages with both methods, the ceiling rose being used as a junction box reduces the loop impedance and allows the use of emergency lights and ceiling fans, but some devices to control lights need a neutral, and this is missing with the traditional British system.

Where using down lights one really needs a junction box Image the box shown the Ashley J501 has the same terminals as a ceiling rose and allows best of both systems.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : multiman