DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:22 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:29 pm 

Can't see the problem Col, not once did you mention PB or JW trying to convert you 3 times a week. :lol: :lol:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:31 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
I guess a 'contract' to take out the undesirables would be cheaper than moving then :lol:

Nah, why take a contract when you can DIY? It'll be fun and a great stress relief .............. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:56 am 

Hi,

Now; now k_e you know I'm a softie and wouldn't hurt anyone but I do confess to having the big key in my back wound up to maximum a few times. What a shame justifiable homicide isn't allowed here in the UK? :salute:

Thanks scruff; yes I was saving the good bits till last; I think I might have innocently offended the married couple of Jehovah Witnesses who last visited me years ago whilst I was trimming our hedge to the front garden in rare sunshine. It turned out that the husband used to work at the same place as me but in another department. I asked them if they believed in God to which they replied yes; I then asked if they thought God to be a good role model of a father by letting his son be born in a dirty stable then go on to be nailed to a cross; why did a virgin have a child after all wasn't she married; if God created heaven and earth in six days and was all powerful why wasn't his son born in a five star hotel and where had God been for millions of years because to date he's only 2,017 years of age but it's known the earth has been around a bit longer than this?

We must have chatted for the best part of 30 minutes; I wonder in fact who converted who. Since then not one Jehovah Witness has visited us; oh dear am I now blacklisted and excluded from heaven; I'm better with a shovel anyway than a pair of wings because I've always been a grafter. :huray:

Absolutely no offence meant to anyone; I respect your individual beliefs as I do you as person of whatever religion or colour but please do not try to convert me unless you are trying to sell me a nice lathe upgrade?

Excellent reply Nick and also highly on topic. :thumbleft:

This morning Bron and I have braved the road work detours and visited The Range in Barnsley; after dinner I'll wander into the garage and resume my pottering around duties which I'm pretty good at. Our lovely neighbour has just phoned me enquiring if she can have access to my vice because she's now bought a junior hacksaw and wishes to trim the end of her new curtain track; of course she can as I no longer feel to be a grumpy so and so I'll not only trim the curtain track for her but I'll sort out her pendant light problem and her dash cam; I don't want to live her life for her but I've never ignored anyone who is having trouble and what will take me a few minutes could possibly save her suffering an accident. Time I switched mode into mentor rather than moaner? :cool:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:12 pm 

watch this if you want a laugh.

https://youtu.be/jxo81Ok9Urk

For this message the author thescruff has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hi,

Thanks scruff. :salute: How very funny but also how very true.

One thing I would do with schools if I was granted one wish would be to abolish every religion from schools and introduce common sense. I believed in God as a very young child because I didn't know any better and religious knowledge was one of the subjects taught at school. I failed miserably my exams on religious knowledge as I did in history because I didn't like either subject but then I also failed in woodwork because the teacher was nothing but a bully; upon leaving school aged 15 I did pass in seven subjects with distinctions in art and technical drawing.

Apprenticed to the National Coal Board aged 15 and down the pit I was quickly taught to think for myself not just covering mechanical engineering but to think about everything I did and to take absolutely nothing for granted; if a thing had been made the same way for an hundred years didn't automatically make it perfect. Once I started to think about God I soon realized what a huge con it all was; grown men (?) in party dress swinging a smoke bomb around commanding respect from the sheep these men never having got their hands dirty in honest toil like coal mining but prancing around full of themselves. One of my first memories regarding the church was when Cannon Coney was to visit our parish church and this guy was one step below God everyone around me seemed in awe of him; I can picture myself as the little lad in Dave Allen's video.

It beats me how the head of the biggest paedophile ring on the planet is still free and although he is not himself married he tells married couples how to go about their everyday lives including not having birth control and they listen to him.

There are many things in life I have no interest in but I do respect others who do have interests other than my own after all we are all different. A young guy with his head down and backside in the air praying in a mosque then shortly after being a suicide bomber about sums up religion for me; when I die I die and I refuse to suck up to any god; when I'm dead I'm dead end of story.

I've now gone from a moan onto religion; where are you fin then we can add sport and make it a trio? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone needs to lighten up and rub along well with their neighbour which actually costs nothing. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:02 pm 

Hi,

On to something more positive. I've just come out of the garage and feel quite cheerful. I've now got the saw spindle on the bench and checked the bearings which are fine; I've had this spindle which is super heavy duty for over twenty years; at one point I built a moulding machine successfully using it with a big moulding head. I've applied the grease gun injecting some fresh grease into the bearings so its good to go. I'm planning on making a 4hp table saw with it; the blade to be 12" with a 1.25" bore. I've also pulled out a pair of twin groove SPZ pulleys which I might be able to use with just the taper inserts to change; the outer collar is missing so it looks like I need to turn a new collar but I've also got a cast iron blank; once I make a start on the saw I'll add the story but so far its looking promising. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
DSCN2503.JPG
DSCN2503.JPG [ 187.19 KiB | Viewed 149 times ]