DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:49 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: 96p car insurance.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:01 pm 

Hi,

I receive emails from Martins Money Tips and the latest to arrive shows the following;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=19-Jan-16-v2&utm_campaign=nt-bestbuys-quicklinks-one&utm_content=2#96p

I'm currently paying £300 per year through Skoda insurance which guarantees the car will be repaired by a Skoda garage using genuine Skoda parts should it suffer an accident but in June when the policy needs renewing I'll be shopping around. With one no own fault motorcycle accident in 1970 I've been accident free for the last 52 years riding powerful bikes and driving many types of car; our car is always garaged at night and we only travel around 7,000 miles per year.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: 96p car insurance.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:04 pm 

Clearly you haven't shopped around. I pay less than you and I have two accidents.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:15 pm 

Argyll wrote:
Clearly you haven't shopped around. I pay less than you and I have two accidents.

Everybody gets a quote dependent on many factors; not just their driving record. As for the example above with a years insurance for 96p ... well done to her. I wonder though how much time and effort went into getting the quote, investigating the cashback t+c's and then claiming the cashback ?

I normally just do one comparison site and direct line, then play them off against who-ever I'm with to get them to match/beat the best alternative on a like-for-like basis.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:35 pm 

Hi,

Thanks Argyll; I didn't shop around but will next time.

As you rightly say wine~o the insurance is based on many factors; I think mine must be based on the climate? :pukeleft: Lots of fog here this morning but three miles out beautiful sunshine; visit Meadowhall returning home via the M1 in more beautiful sunshine to run into the fog once again as we neared home. ::b ::b ::b

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : wine~o
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:06 pm 

Partner and I sit down with a laptop each and run through the comparison sites and pick the cheapest, didn't know you could do cashback sites and stuff though, will try that next month when it's due. We don't go crazy, spend maybe an hour or two sorting it out but the savings make that worth it.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm 

I will normally only stay with an insurance company for the year, as you can get some good prices by shopping about.

When I brought my current car nearly 2 years ago I paid the extra an swooped it over on my policy, I was with Swinton at the time and come renewal they had doubled the quote! Needless to say I went else where I'm currently with the AA an pay less than £200 per year.

I always go through cash back sites your be surprised how how you can get

The gene pool has no life guard!

For this message the author philprime has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:13 am 

Hi,

I'm a dinosaur philprime so don't understand how cash back sites work? Anyone care to enlighten me please? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 am 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

I'm a dinosaur philprime so don't understand how cash back sites work? Anyone care to enlighten me please? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

I would appreciate a few tips as well as I have never used them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:31 pm 

I use quidco.

You register on there site and you can search through there list of retailers that offer cash back, currently there are over 4000 companies on there.

Once you find who you want to buy from on quidco website you follow the link and quidco will track your visit and any purchases you make.

Some companies are quicker at paying cash back than others

I currently have £180 sitting in my account from two purchases of broadband and a new mobile phone.

Last year when I got married my misses used it so many times we ended up with about £400 from various purchases

The gene pool has no life guard!

For this message the author philprime has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:06 pm 

Problem is Col, the rip-off insurance sharks bump the price up about 4 x inflation every year and if you don't phone them up and complain they get away with it year on year.

Get the renewal. phone them up and they'll knock £50 plus quid off without blinking an eye, it's a game and if you don't shop around you loose

For this message the author thescruff has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:58 am 
Pro Carpenter

its called platitudes the automaticly increase the subs to loyal members but praise up the positives whilst ignoring the negatives
in other words they will say you need do nothing to renew you will be getting the best deal you can get from us praising the good points without mentioning the large premium hikes as the cheap deals are not available to you
you must always treat them as lying barsteward untill you have done your reserch and do a search
never ever just search a comparason site they suggest as not all are on every comparason site check at least 3 different ones
i strongly suggest you go by money saving expert as in my opinion are very honest declairing the commision they get open a freely :lol:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/?utm_s ... _content=1

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:22 am 

Hi,

Many thanks for the information philprime and for the quidco link which is interesting and I'll have a good look at it shortly. :thumbleft:

Thanks thescruff; when Bron and I bought the Monte in June 2014 it being new it came with a weeks free Skoda insurance; during the week I looked at insurance comparison sites then I phoned Skoda insurance who initially quoted around £330 for the years insurance so I pointed out that I could get the insurance much cheaper online; as you rightly say £50 was immediately knocked off and I paid the full £280. I could have got insurance for as low as £160 online but I'm highly suspicious of insurance companies to the point of detesting them with a passion. :pukeleft:

Well said b-a; trust no insurance company in fact trust no one when it comes to money. ::b

There isn't any guarantee with these cheap car insurance quotes that in the event of an accident the parts used are not genuine parts or that the car will be repaired by in our case Skoda? Once the new insurance policy arrived I note its not actually Skoda but Allianz. It was Allianz who quoted the £160 on the comparison site but I had already paid before the policy arrived. Who the heck can we trust these days when it comes to money? I was bogged down with dire weather whilst trying to give two of our rooms full makeovers last year when the insurance needed renewing so just paid the new price of £300; when I phoned Skoda I was informed by a rather terse lady they don't do discounts although the previous year I got a £50 discount from them?

Our insurance is due once again in June so this time I'll get the Allianz online quote before phoning Skoda; it appears Allianz will have got their initial quoted price but then Skoda pocketed the balance as middlemen; not bad when it comes off like this is it? Bron and I love our Monte but given the way Skoda have just been caught out falsifying emissions tests and now the insurance charges it makes me wonder about buying a cheap and cheerful Dacia then run it until it drops? We also paid a one off payment covering three years for top up insurance should the car suffer an accident where it would be fully covered for the price of a new car rather than its current value? We also accepted Skoda servicing plan covering three years by direct debit of just over £18 per month again we paid extra to cover the entire car for parts which are not covered under normal servicing.

There is no cheap way to run a car; running an old banger is appealing until it keeps breaking down costing a fortune in repairs together with lots of inconvenience which can make the old banger more expensive to run than a cheap but new car? We have neighbours who buy ex demonstrator cars or cars at one year old to save money. A new car is nice but at a high cost.

Our neighbour across the street from us has been running a small Vauxhall car for well over twenty years and is still running it; it is left outside in all weather but just keeps going; it's tempting to keep our Monte because it's such a lovely car; the Monte will be 3 years old June 2017 it only travels around 7,000 miles per year so at this mileage to keep replacing our car at three years old is expensive. There is no easy answer when it comes to cars. I really fancied buying a new 4WD Yeti next time but I don't think I'll bother because it will be an even bigger money pit?

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/62858/cheapest-cars-run#

Out of interest I've just completed an online comparison site this being the first of the list to pop up;

https://www.google.co.uk/compare/carinsurance/form?p=home&pref=L22WHL

Below are just two snips I've lifted from this same site which demonstrates just what a rip off insurance really is; I must dash out to pay over £2000 for my next renewal? :pukeleft:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
Insurance 2.JPG
Insurance 2.JPG [ 100.71 KiB | Viewed 1150 times ]
Attachment:
Insurance 1.JPG
Insurance 1.JPG [ 94.99 KiB | Viewed 1150 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:47 am 

We wanted to arrange a single DAY insurance so a friend could borrow the car to take his wife for a hospital appointment some 130 miles from here.

Our own insurance company wanted silly money for the day but online we could get it far, far, cheaper. As a result when our insurance is due for renewal I'm going to call the company concerned and tell them that...

...'I've already checked online and found some decent quotes. You have ONE opportunity to present your best deal and if it doesn't meet or beat the ones I have then I'm canceling my insurance with you and taking it elsewhere'.

I'm not going to tell them what quotes I have. If they REALLY want my business they'll know what the opposition can offer and they SHOULD be able to match it at the very least. I'm not interested in haggling either.

Like you Col I'm seriously hacked off with their annual p1ss take increase for my loyalty. It stops from now on.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired