DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 pm 

I’m looking for a bit advice on wiring 4 leds from my centre pendant. From the photo could someone advise me which junction box or wago connecter and box/fittings I need. I’m going to daisy chain from this and if someone would be as kind to do me a wee wiring diagram I’d be most appreciative!
And is 1mm or 1.5mm cabling required?

Attachments:
3E443DBB-F9E8-4BAD-B36A-0B53FDB26212.jpeg
3E443DBB-F9E8-4BAD-B36A-0B53FDB26212.jpeg [ 70.74 KiB | Viewed 681 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:47 pm 

If you havent already, get your self the small "installer box" of wagos This one

also you will need one of These

I would use Image ones (you get them in the box) conenct it just as your cables are connected now. (Sorry, I can't draw like wine~O does)

I would also suggest you mark each core of the cable say with lines, 1 line on one, 2 lines on the next etc, then take a picture, THEN you can put them in wagos so they are still in the same configuration they are now.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:11 pm 

I can draw one of my infamous pics if you like stevie... First thing though your switched live and earth are both yellow in that pic. Make sure you mark either so that you know which is which.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:48 pm 

wine~o wrote:
I can draw one of my infamous pics if you like stevie... First thing though your switched live and earth are both yellow in that pic. Make sure you mark either so that you know which is which.

Cheers wine-o. It’d be great if you could do a wee diagram,I’m a wood butcher and I’m not the cleverest with light wiring!! It’s single wires in a metal conduit and the pendant is attached to metal circular box which is gonna be a joy to try and remove!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:48 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
It’s single wires in a metal conduit and the pendant is attached to metal circular box which is gonna be a joy to try and remove!

Actually it shouldn't be as bad as you think.

Above is a conduit end box (Yours may be a through or even a T box) if you look at the picture you will see that there are two "tabs" These are pre tapped with 4mm thread, they will be how your JB is held to the box (You just undo the two 4mm screws and down comes the box. looking at your picture, look next to the red sleeve and also next to the black wires, in each case, there is a "well" that will be where the 4mm bolts are.)

How ever, as you have conduit and a JB I would suggest you leave the JB there as it is ideal for what you want, other wise you will have to fit a a blanking plate with stuffing gland and a lock nut to secure it, as well as choc bloc.

Also as its steel conduit there is no requirement for an earth cable (as the conduit itself acts as the earth) Your new lights will probably need an earth.

Check to see if an earth has been run (doubtful) and also see where the conduit connects to your supply as it may be be you have a metal CU and this is where it gets its earth from. If it does, you are in luck. If you look at the picture again, at around 12 O'clock there is a raised surface, this is also tapped out to 4mm and it is for an earth wire to be connected to. (you will need a round crimp lug and a short 4mm bolt)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Last edited by someone-else on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author someone-else has received thanks - 2: OnlyMe, steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:51 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
wine~o wrote:

Cheers wine-o. It’d be great if you could do a wee diagram,I’m a wood butcher and I’m not the cleverest with light wiring!! It’s single wires in a metal conduit and the pendant is attached to metal circular box which is gonna be a joy to try and remove!

Remind me later. Electrickery is actually easier than you think (light circuits anyway)

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 pm 
Approved Electrician

steviejoiner74 wrote:
It’s single wires in a metal conduit and the pendant is attached to metal circular box which is gonna be a joy to try and remove!

Swearing at it as you remove it might help!

For this message the author OnlyMe has received gratitude : steviejoiner74
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 pm 
Approved Electrician

wine~o wrote:
First thing though your switched live and earth are both yellow in that pic. Make sure you mark either so that you know which is which.

I would not make the assumption that the yellow wire that is not connected to the flex is an earth! It could well be a permanent live.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:22 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
These are pre tapped with 4mm thread, they will be how your JB is held to the box (You just undo the two 4mm screws and down comes the box. looking at your picture, look next to the red sleeve and also next to the black wires, in each case, there is a "well" that will be where the 4mm bolts are.)

That was a very good and informative post :salute:

But is it a bolt or is it a screw?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:41 pm 

Thanks for the advise guys,it’s been much appreciated!!Lights all done. Once the pendant was removed I just crudely wellied the black circular piece in the loft with a hammer and it came away no probs. :lol:
I didn’t use the wagos as they didn’t have them in stock in screwfix(surprise eh!) so it’s just been put in a choc block and wrapped within an inch of its life with insulating tape.