A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: 28 - Where do I start?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

Turned 28 last month and lately been thinking about learning a trade, leaning towards electrician.

I first thought about it a few years back but put it off as I have never really known what to do and thought it was too late to start.

Since turning 20 I have had 3 jobs mainly working in sales & customer service but I want to feel like I am actually working towards something and learn. I currently earn £22k but job has limited progression and tired jumping from job to job.

I understand it takes 3/4 years from scratch to become qualified and that is kind of putting me off, that I will be 32 once I am done and for the next 3/4 years wont be earning great money. However once qualified I know it can bring in good money and a settled career.

Just after a bit of advice really as I have no idea where to start.

What is the best way of getting into this?

Is 28 OK to start or have I really left it too late?

How do I know if it is for me?

Any advice or info would help, thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:17 pm 

Unless you have some connection, like your dads an electrician, it is really hard to break in so late, both my son and I were late into the trade, however I had an allied trade, I was an auto electrician, and son had a father in the trade. We both now are trained to level 5, i.e. a degree, but the night classes which in 2000 cost £60 now cost £300 the cost is silly unless in full time education.

So yes you could do block release, but you need a lot of money or will get into a load of debt.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:30 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

28 most definitely is not too old to change and re-train as an Electrician.

Look at your strengths though before deciding on any trade. Good Maths skills, analytical skills, practical ability and to a certain extent agility are required to become an Electrician.

Ignore those "training centres" that promise to get you qualified in 6/12 weeks for £ x thousands of pound notes.

Start enquiring at local colleges / adult education centres for courses. It'll be a long haul as you say, but if your heart is in it, go for it.

(I wish I had when I were younger)

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:57 am 
Newly registered Member

Maths is what I am good at so that is a plus.

I just wish I had started a few years ago as I would be half way there now.

I know 28 is not old but starting now means low wage for the next few years and that is what is stopping me, I will think about it more and look into colleges.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 pm 

Its not your age that is a problem (yes it is ::b )

Being totally honest about it:

1) As you have said its low wages for anything upto 4 years, can you afford to live?

2) Apprentice ships ? what are they? they seem to have long gone, but you may be lucky, but being 28 is against you.

3) Go to college and take an NVQ (or what ever they are called) get practical experience, pass all done, er no.
On other (electrical) forums at least once a month someone like you comes along and asks (pleads) for some one to take them on to gain experience, they never get a reply, and sometimes you can read the experience of others who have tried to help in the past but it didn't work.

I really don't want to be negative, I am just telling you how it is now, its not fair, but thats how it is.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:13 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:

1) As you have said its low wages for anything upto 4 years, can you afford to live?

2) Apprentice ships ? what are they? they seem to have long gone, but you may be lucky, but being 28 is against you.

3) Go to college and take an NVQ (or what ever they are called) get practical experience, pass all done, er no.
On other (electrical) forums at least once a month someone like you comes along and asks (pleads) for some one to take them on to gain experience, they never get a reply, and sometimes you can read the experience of others who have tried to help in the past but it didn't work.

I really don't want to be negative, I am just telling you how it is now, its not fair, but thats how it is.

Only one of the late starters has ever made it with our firm......

For this message the author OnlyMe has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:30 pm 

OnlyMe wrote:
someone-else wrote:

Only one of the late starters has ever made it with our firm......

I'll have a small bet that was with some self sacrifice as well.
My electrical apprenticeship was four and half years. Hard enough when you're 16. Living at home and single.

I changed careers when I was in my mid 30s. Own house, solvent, and what I was going to do (furniture making) was already a hobby, and I'd had some experience. I was going s-e so I didn't need to prove to an employer that I could do it.
Still a steep learning curve.
Apart from the practical side of electrics, there's a lot of technical stuff to learn as well.

So OP, you can do it, but unless you know someone in the trade, I'm not sure how you'd go about it.