DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:42 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:51 pm 

Hi,

A deccy speaking asking for a bit of advice please. Purchased a house that had been empty for 18 months. 1960's with concrete floors. I appear to have some damp in the lower mid house walls near the chimney breast. Chimney and flashing appears okay.
Question - What next. What are the options and who should I approach? The typical damp companies will, no doubt, tell me I need lots of work doing.
Can anyone tell me if the floor is the problem does it all have to be dug up :shock: at great expense or are there other options?
I am away for a week but would appreciate some help. The wife is worried silly.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I had a similar problem. The walls had rising damp so i got a damp course company out. Charged me hundreds of pounds to break the plaster, inject the walls and re-plaster with renovating plaster. All was well for a few months and then the damp came back. I went back to the 'damp' company who said they would charge me £100 to come out and if the fault was found to be the original, they would refund it otherwise they would keep it. I didnt bother with them and found out that it was rising damp from the concrete floor causing the problem. I myself dug the floor out and put a DPC damp course in on a sand screed and re-concreted. Good as new and didnt cost much just my back! I think you're best doing the floor and then thats the big problem out of the way. Anothe roption is to dig a one foot trench along that wall and put a DPC membrance along it with fresh concrete. It might solve the problem though not ideal. Hope thats some kind of help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:29 am 

squidgy wrote:
Hi,

Purchased a house that had been empty for 18 months. 1960's with concrete floors. I appear to have some damp in the lower mid house walls near the chimney breast. Chimney and flashing appears okay.
Question - What next.

Has the fireplace been closed off? .......... and if so, is it vented with an air brick at low level?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:08 am 

Hi,

Can you post any internal external pics??