DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:45 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: 15mm fitting
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hiya,

Can anyone tell me what make/type of fitting these...

Ta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: 15mm fitting
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:43 pm 

Looks like John Guest (JG) from here. Plastic fantastic. Personally I'd replace with copper... :wink:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:56 pm 

I think it's the old style (grey) Hep2O fittings. They've changed the design now -- and the colour (they're white). But you do occasionally see the old ones on sale still, especially online.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hepworth-Hep2O-15mm-equal-tees-Hep20-Hep-2O-20-Push-fit-connectors/141235731876

The groups of 3 lines on the nuts give it away.

For this message the author chrrris has received gratitude : wine~o
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:03 pm 

chrrris wrote:

The groups of 3 lines on the nuts give it away.

Well spotted. One of the reasons I hate plastic fantastic fittings. A) difficult to identify B) are the bit's that you can get now compatible

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:07 pm 

It's grey hep,I've a few of these in my gaff. They are under my sink and look naff.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:11 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Well spotted. One of the reasons I hate plastic fantastic fittings. A) difficult to identify B) are the bit's that you can get now compatible

Yeah. I'm not a fan of them myself either TBH. I guess they were used there because it looks like it might be a loft with lots of loose insulation about, but wherever pushfit fittings and plastic pipe are found, you're normally not very far from poor layout & unclipped pipework. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

They're under an upstairs floor and the ceiling below has been lowered and insulated. They feed a sink that I've moved and I thought I might replace them now that I've disturbed them & as they've prob been there 10 years +.

Thanks for the replies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:27 pm 

ad2002 wrote:
They're under an upstairs floor and the ceiling below has been lowered and insulated. They feed a sink that I've moved and I thought I might replace them now that I've disturbed them & as they've prob been there 10 years +.

Thanks for the replies

IF they aren't leaking don't touch them.

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 pm 

wine~o wrote:
IF they aren't leaking don't touch them.

I can confirm, as I have a (refurbished 2000) listed building full of them, that they are Hepworth (embossed on the fitting) Hep2o fittings and at first glance do not appear to be demountable (as is JG Speedfit).

However, firstly, with care they can be disconnected/reconnected without problem (for instance, removing an elbow & inserting a tee or vice versa).

Secondly, with care, they ARE reusable, at the expense of losing pipe. Undo the fitting, taking note of the order of assembly of the collar, 'o' ring, "gripper piece" and thumb-nut.

The "gripper piece" only slides onto the pipe in one direction, so cut the pipe (wasting a length) below/beyond the nut - it will then slide off. Reassemble the fitting in the correct order and it can easily be refitted to a new length of pipe without problem. I have done this many times over the last couple of years and have a boxful of spare parts. I have replanned/refitted two bathrooms and have not had to purchase ANY new fittings (not that I'm tight) or indeed, any barrier pipe.

The previous owner's plumbing left so much to spare, careful planning made all modifications simples. All the horrible grey stuff is totally hidden behind fitted units or underfloor. Initially, my consideration in re-using fittings stemmed from the fact that the incoming barrier pipe is immovably encased in the concrete floor, so I couldn't shorten pipes as described and was forced to reconnect Hep2o thumbnuts to a Hep2o fitting.

Yes, they are ugly, but not as ugly as current Speedfits (with thumbnut), the original demountable Speedfits were better IMHO. OK, copper may be preferred by many, but even then one could consider that (professionals') use of end-feed fittings, with solder, flux & green slime running out of them, is not as neat as a keen DIYer's careful use of Yorkshires. Another argument no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:07 am 

arco_iris wrote:
OK, copper may be preferred by many, but even then one could consider that (professionals') use of end-feed fittings, with solder, flux & green slime running out of them, is not as neat as a keen DIYer's careful use of Yorkshires. Another argument no doubt.

If someone's doing end feed joints that look worse than DIYed yorkshire fittings, then I'd say they don't really have any business calling themselves a plumber. Obviously flux residue and green slime apply equally to yorkshire fittings as to end feed, but shouldn't be an issue in either case as the joints should be cleaned up after they're made to avoid pin-holing.