DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:39 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:58 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi All,

I just wanted to warn anyone about using the company 1&1 https://www.1and1.co.uk for hosting websites or registering domain names.

They are scammers and demand money with menaces, there are many people complaining about 1&1’s tactics on the internet such as the here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630553

They are trying to charge me £94.70 for the the renewal of domain names that I did not renew.

I had cancelled my whole hosting account with them along with the domain names but because they ‘raised’ the invoice before I had cancelled (note: not renewed the domain names, they simply ‘raised’ the invoice) they claim that I still owe £94.70.

It’s like me raising an invoice for some me to do some landscaping work, then the customer decides that they don’t want me to proceed with the work but I still try to get them to pay in full for the work I have not done and not going to do!!!

I pointed out to 1&1 that:

The fact that the invoice was raised before they received my cancellation request is irrelevant.

When they raise an invoice, it is nothing more than an internal administration process performed by them and it has absolutely nothing to do with any goods or services supplied (or in this case not supplied)

I have read all about your scam and I will not tolerate you demanding money with menaces.

Your automatic renewal of domain name registrations, contravenes Nominet regulations, and is not enforceable in English courts as it is based on German contract law.

Also, 1&1 cant get their story straight.

In one email they said:
"Please take note that the invoice was raised prior to the cancellation date. It means that the invoice is valid and it needs to be settled."

Then in a later email 1&1 said:
"The domains were already renewed before you have requested for them to be cancelled that is why an invoice was generated. Additionally, domain names are non-refundable as per our T&C."

Please avoid using 1&1, yes they are cheap but thats not the point.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:21 pm 

I would suspect it depends how the invoice is worded and what it's for.

For example we get an invoiced for the renewal of our website etc and one could expect to be taken off line pretty quick if you didn't renew. No different to car insurance, they send you a renewal invitation whether you accept it or not is down to the end user.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:57 pm 

Having been a long time 1&1 customer and found them to be extremely helpful in every way - including helping me to REDUCE my financial outlay with them - I can only take this example as a particularly suspect case.

I have also missed renewal dates (after cancellation) but a simple phone call to their helpful staff has always resolved the issue with no angst, problem or difficulty.

I would question the 'allowability' of someone to come to this forum (with its broad spectrum Google search results and SEO capabilities) to 'slag off' a company - presumably here as a 'new member' just out of built-in anger?? and potentially bring this forum into disrepute with one-off (AFAIAA) grousing?

We only know one side of this argument and risk negative feedback if this is not, as the OP states, something that is desperately in need of advertising across the web.....??

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:58 pm 

@ Kellys_eye

I've also been with 1&1 as a personal account for a few years without probs. I did set up a couple of domains and space for work a couple of years ago and did have some issues cancelling them. Was a bit of toing and froing to get them to cancel but not nearly as the OP has inidcated.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:40 pm 
Newly registered Member

I was with 1&1 for 14 years - and I found that they were 100% fine to use - but you try to leave and then you see what they are like!

I mean come on, trying to enforce payment of an invoice just because they have RAISED it !

2 years ago a friend of mine warned me about them (as he had experienced EXACTLY what I have recently experienced) and I was just like you, amazed as I had experienced no problem with them over the years - until you cancel and try to leave.

Be warned!

The same story as mine is ALL OVER the internet.
Try this link - says it all !

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=1%261+scam

I just wanted to give folk the heads up - by all means sign up to 1&1 - I was very happy with them for 14 years.

Any how I have left them and will not pay them a penny - I no longer have an issue - I just didn't want others to fall foul of their practices.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:27 pm 

Whilst your person example is potentially one to be aware of I doubt that 1&1 could ever exceed Sky TV's reticence fro allowing customers to leave!

If I was going to leave 'any' provider I would be careful not to allow them any loopholes to exploit - allowing an invoice to be raised is certainly one occasion that a provider could take advantage of. I don't condone what they may have done but you have to admit some liability in allowing them to take the pish.... :dunno:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

erm, in what way did I allow them to raise an invoice? What they do with their invoice system is up to them!

I in no way 'allowed' them to do anything

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi
you right that's the worst hosting company. I even couldn't help me with my problem. Most of they stuff is unexperience and useless. I asked them to give my money back ( if you have account for not longer then 14 days you can get your money back) and I get letter that I have to pay 107 pounds. So I called them and made appointment with Native English Person( I don't want sound racist, but I have a chat with Indian person and couln't understand them bacuse of they accent). One big mess.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:23 pm 

hmmmm...

seems like this thread was created purely to use the exposure that UHM has to advertise the individuals grievances???

The OP 'came and left' according to the dates and the latest post is a resurrection of the thread from nearly 6 months ago - no doubt as a result from a Google search.

Not sure that this site is meant for individuals with grievances ??? but rather for those seeking assistance and/or providing useful support for others.

Should this thread be closed?

For this message the author kellys_eye has received thanks - 4: AAA.Handy.Man, gas4you, moderator2, vlb

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]